|Anton Shkaruba is the director and the general partner of Erda RTE, research affiliate and visiting lecturer at Central European University in Budapest (Department of Environmental Sciences and Policy). His background is geography (BSc minor in terrestrial hydrology, PhD in geographical ecology) and environmental science. His expertise lies in vulnerability and adaptation analysis of forest and urban ecosystems; in biodiversity conservation and ecosystem governance; in mapping and visualisation environmental governance regimes; since recent also in governance of disasters and post-disaster sense-making and adaptation. Anton is teaching at Central European University courses on adaptation, sustainable forestry and carbon sequestration in ecosystems; he is visiting faculty at several universities in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine under projects funded by the EU Erasmus+ program and grant programs of the Visegrad Foundation. Anton is regularly involved in summer schools and other intensive training sessions, both as a resource person an organiser, including summer schools of CEU SUN, Asia-Pacific Network, Open Society Foundation and Swedish Institute. He had a number of consultancy engagements related to development of flexible mechanisms of Kyoto Protocol (UNDP Belarus) and climate-proof cities (EuropeAid, SIDA); he was involved in institutional research grant projects at Central European University on ecosystem vulnerability research, and FP5-7 projects related to ecosystem management and governance of natural resources. Dr. Shkaruba has vast experience with capacity building for higher education in Eastern Europe, including involvement to four Tempus, three Jean-Monnet and two Visegrad projects, and organisation of research training networks for early stage faculty and researchers in Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine through grants of Swedish Institute, Asia-Pacific Network, UNDP, Open Society Foundation. Anton is actively involved to IPBES (The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services) process since its start, first as a scoping expert for regional and sub-regional assessments, and then as a contributing and a lead author of the assessment report for Europe and Central Asia.
- Spyra, M., La Rosa, D., Zasada, I., Sylla, M., Shkaruba, A. (2020). Governance of ecosystem services trade-offs in peri-urban landscapes. Land Use Policy 95: 104617. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2020.104617
- Shkaruba, A., Skryhan, H. (2019). Chernobyl science and politics in Belarus: The challenges of post-normal science and political transition as a context for science–policy interfacing. Environmental Science & Policy 92:152-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2018.11.024
- Shkaruba, A. (ed.) (2019). Principles of Environmental Policy: Local, European and Global Perspectives. Pskov, Pskov State University, 342 p. ISBN: 978-5-91116-761-5
- Niedziałkowski, K., Shkaruba, A. (2018). Governance and legitimacy of the Forest Stewardship Council certification in the national contexts - A comparative study of Belarus and Poland. Forest Policy and Economics 97:180-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2018.10.005
- Shkaruba, A., Likhacheva, O., Kireyeu, V. (2018). European environmental assistance to the Region of Pskov in Northwest Russia: sustainability, effectiveness and implications for environmental governance. Journal of Environmental Policy & Planning, 20(2): 236-251. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1523908X.2017.1398639)
- Rounsevell, M., Fischer, M., Boeraeve, F., Jacobs, S., Liekens, I., Marques, A., Molnár, Z., Osuchova, J., Shkaruba, A., Whittingham, M. and Zlinszky, A. Chapter 1: Setting the scene. In IPBES (2018): The IPBES regional assessment report on biodiversity and ecosystem services for Europe and Central Asia. Rounsevell, M., Fischer, M., Torre-Marin Rando, A. and Mader, A. (eds.). Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, Bonn, Germany, pp. 1-54.
- Шкарубо, А., Лихачева, О., Киреев, В. (2018). Устойчивость и последствия реализации проектов Европейской технической помощи на территории Псковской области в 1991-2016 гг. Псковский регионологический журнал, 33(1): 84-99.
- Shkaruba, A., Kireyeu, V., Likhacheva, O. (2017). Rural–urban peripheries under socioeconomic transitions: Changing planning contexts, lasting legacies, and growing pressure. Landscape Urban Plan. – Vol. 165. – PP. 244-255, doi:10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.05.006
- Shkaruba, A., Likhacheva, O., Vasileva, T., Kireyeu, V., (2016). Outcomes of EU enlargement for nature resource governance in the region of Pskov: an analytical overview of EU technical assistance projects. Pskov Journal of Regional Studies, Vol. 28: 80-95.
- Shkaruba, A., Skryhan, H., Kireyeu, V. 2015. Sense-making for anticipatory adaptation to heavy snowstorms in urban areas. Urban Climate, 14: 636-649.
- Bobrik, Y., Timoshkova. A., Pilovets, G., Falaleeva, M., Shkaruba, A., Kireyeu, V. 2015. Climate Change: Impacts, Mitigation, Adaptation. Minsk: UNDP.
- Niaverau, A., Shkaruba, A., Kireyeu, V., Vasilieva, T., Dziamidavec, V., Ravino, A., Niaverau, D., Lukashuk, N., Jarmonina, I., Dziubanau, V., Varapajeva O. 2014. Forest Governance. Minsk: Pachatkovaya Shkola.
- Kundas, S.P. et al. (2014). Governance of Energy Efficiency. Comenius University in Bratislava – International A.Sakharov Environmental University, Bratislava-Minsk.
- Shkaruba, A., Kireyeu, V. 2013. Recognising ecological and institutional landscapes in adaptive governance of natural resources. Forest Policy and Economics 36: 87-97.
- Shkaruba, A., Otto-Banaszak, I., Kireyeu, V. 2012. Environmental governance and rise of multi-level biodiversity governance in the former USSR. In Environmental management, ed. N.K. Maksimenko, 200-221, Kharkiv: V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.
- Banaszak-Otto, I., Shkaruba, A., Kireyeu, V. 2011. The Rise of Multi-Level Governance for Biodiversity Conservation in Belarus. Environment and Planning C 29: 113-132.